“Prayer without praise is like
trying to drive 3-wheel Car without gas”.
Wouldn’t it be nice if life lacked any rough roads or trials? While you’d like to just thrive and rest, as you endure your next storm, imagine a deep heavenly voice saying: It’s only a test.
Resting and testing are both parts of a Christian’s life. As you struggle to survive storms, know your Trust (in the Lord) will allow you to thrive again. As the song tells us ‘what a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear’.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3: 5 – 6 (NKJV)
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5: 44 – 45 (NKJV)
If you abide in ‘the true vine’, your unpleasant adversity will reveal your steadfast faith!
Unfortunately, it’s adversity not prosperity which show what a Christian is really made of. Bad times are more character-revealing than good times. Ironically, it is during prosperous times that some forget (fail to praise) their Blessor. During tough times, however, many of these same people can’t stop calling God. He’s on speed dial! It’s during such times that some discover him anew.
- Keep calling God, whether you enjoying triumphs or enduring tribulations. You’ll be glad you did!
- Mediate on the profound message in Romans 8: 28- 37 when you get a chance this week.
Headed to Heaven?
Let’s assume that you and I will both be going up yonder after we perish, OK? If this does indeed happen, God willing, we’ll both experience the perpetual prosperity which eternal salvation offers!
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (NKJV)
And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21: 3 – 4 (NKJV)
Your abiding faith, and you ability to endure moments of adversity, will play a big role in whether you, or I, will one day walk through the Pearly Gates.
Lessons for Christian Living
Never take for granted the ‘blessed assurance‘ that your Christian walk provides.
Never forget to praise the Lord ‘for every mountain, for every blessing‘.
- Prayer without praise is like trying to drive 3-wheel Car without gas. Praise him. Ride down the highway to Heaven.
- Remember this Christian truth: ‘God’s on Your Side‘. As Romans 8:31b tells us, If God’s for you, who can be against you?
Whether you’re the CEO of a Fortune 500 firm or a Custodian, your acceptance of Jesus Christ as your personal Savior is what matters to the Lord. You’re one of his children. Your trust in him, not your title (or skin color or gender), is what’s important to your father in Heaven. Period.
- Whether you’re pushing paper or pushing a broom, the personal impact of Christian assurance is the same.
- Whether you’re employed or unemployed, your Real Boss (God) is on your side. His hand is unchanging!
This is Only a Test
As I recalled a recent Emergency Broadcast Signal test today, the title for this devotional post came to mind.
- This is only a test of the Emergency Broadcast system. This is only a test. If this had been a real emergency . . . (I think you know the rest)
- How does God test us from time to time? (Ironically, the Devil tempts us with easy things that feel good, but are ungodly)
I wish you a long faith-filled life, a Happy New Year, and an awesome afterlife up yonder!
Grace, Mercy, and Peace to you.