Your Next Triumph: Just a Step Away Series
In Part 1 (link), I set forth five (5) different Career Scenarios you might currently be in now.
An insightful post I saw recently helps a less-than-content Christian worker get a firm sense of what specific points of discontent exist. The scenarios explored in that post, based on post readers deciding first if they’d continue working if they won a large lottery, are:
- No Change
- Promotion or Employer Change
- Career Change
- Retire Early and Rededicate
- Cease Working (paid or unpaid)
If you feel that a promotion, employer change, or career change (second and third paths above) is needed, what are the precise reasons you’d seek such a change? Jeff Haden, in 9 Reasons to Quit Your Job As Soon As You Can, will help you better understand your current situation. His writing is powerful and to the point!
- In his post, on LinkedIn Pulse, Haden states:
“Life’s too short to go home every day feeling unfulfilled. Life’s too short to work for a terrible boss. Life’s too short to go home every day feeling taken for granted, feeling taken less than seriously, or feeling taken advantage of.
Life’s short to not be as happy as you can be.
Say your grown daughter called and said, “I hate my job. I’m bored, frustrated, and feel like I’m going nowhere.” Wouldn’t you tell her to look for another job?
Shouldn’t you follow the same advice?”
He offers, and explores, the following nine reasons, namely:
- Your input is disregarded… or even not wanted.
- You get criticized publicly.
- You never hear the word, “Thanks.”
- Your boss manages up, not down.
- You feel like you have no purpose.
- You feel like a number.
- You aren’t even mildly excited to go to work.
- You can’t see a future.
- You don’t think you can do anything else.
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14 NIV)
Greg Silverthorne, 66 Assurance Way