- This profoundly gifted jazz musician lost his daughter in the Newtown CT elementary school shooting in December 2012. His daughter’s name was Ana Grace. With God’s grace, she’s surely in Heaven now . . . in ‘paradise with our Father in Heaven’, as Greene notes. A 2009 song, named for his daughter, captures a father’s deep love and adoration for his daughter.
- His faith, even in the midst of the worst ‘nightmare’ a parent can face, is commendable. Just after Ana Grace’s passing in 2012, Greene wrote:
Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words of support. As we work through this nightmare, we’re reminded how much we’re loved and supported on this earth and by our Father in heaven. As much as she’s needed here and missed by her mother, brother and me, Ana beat us all to paradise. I love you sweetie girl.
- From his “Mission Statement” release (RazDaz Recordz, 2009).
- NPR Story – A Grieving Newtown Mother’s Motto: ‘Love Wins’ gives you a good sense of the life of Jimmy and his wife Nelba in the aftermath of their profound lost.
- Having programmed Jazz when I was in college in Rhode Island (WBRU-FM), this expressive song’s beauty instantly caught my attention. Sadly, three years after the song was produced, Ana Grace was killed senselessly in the CT mass shooting. It serves as a perfect ‘bookend’ (along side his words above) for one father’s tribute to his slain daughter.
- Jimmy Greene’s biography (link) . . . and a Special Message (link) the mourning jazz musician wrote in response to his daughter’s death in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Greg Silverthorne, 66 Assurance Way
Photo credit: YouTube (jandekrules)
(to be continued) (Marvin Sapp’s story)