Devotional (Part 1 of 2)
“I wonder, if the light, from the Lighthouse,
would shine, would shine on me.”
- “Lighthouse”, New Direction (1999, Percy Gray, Jr. / Jeral Gray Sr.)
Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.
Here is my thought, this is my plea:
‘Lord let Your holy light shine on me’.
I wonder will You, hear my prayer,
I know I’m not worthy, but I need Your care.
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
if the light, from the lighthouse, would shine,
would shine on me.
1 John 1:5-10 (Walking in the Light)
5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.
Shine on me, shine on me,
Shine on me, shine on me!
- Do you want an Assuring Beacon in your life? I do! The 3 scriptures in this Devotional make clear who that Beacon is; the words and music of a 15-year old Gospel song, “Lighthouse” (audio), fervently capture the Peace-assuring Beacon that is the Lord (Red words above are lines from the New Direction song).
- There’s never a need for you, or any child of God, to stumble dangerously in the dark. God hears and answers the prayers of all his children. So, even if you feel you aren’t ‘worthy’, pray and seek his care anyway! Seek forgiveness when you’ve done something to displease Him; remember, God’s giving and forgiving (prior ‘full faith’ post). You do not have to ‘wonder if the light will shine’ on you, just wait until it does. Don’t wonder, just wait.
- You don’t ever have to walk in darkness. Walk by faith in the light.
- Trust that ‘the light from the Lighthouse can shine, can shine on you’ too. Let the Lord’s light shine on you today, tomorrow, and forever more. Let it shine on you, shine on you, shine on you! (to be continued)
Greg Silverthorne, 66 Assurance Way