So Why should I be bound, when God has set me free.
So Why should I be bound, when Jesus died for you and me.
* * *
- John 10:3, 4b, 9-10 – The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out . . . and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (NIV)
- Psalm 24:1-2 –The earth is the LORD’S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. (KJV)
- John 8:32 –And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (NKJV)
* * *
The Truth: The Foundation of your Spiritual Bridge
The sheep who know the watchman’s voice and follow him (John 10, cited above) know the truth. However, those who are Doubters (like Thomas in John 14), as opposed to rock-solid Believers and Truth-Knowers, are timid Fence Straddlers. If you ‘hear your Shepherd’s voice’ and strive to heed his instructions, you are amongst the ranks of Truth-knowing, Lord-acknowledging Christians who will ‘have life to the full’. Obedience has it’s privileges! You’ll be ‘set free’ (John 8:32).
- Why should you be bound? Cross the bridge with confidence!
“All belong to him who has made all!” (From Evan’s song, “Why Should I Be Bound”, which led this post.). The Bible (Psalm 24:1-2) Says: The earth is the LORD’S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
- Who do you belong to? Who made you?
In terms of the 9 Pillars of Christian Assurance, I feel the ‘Truth Pillar’ is clearly the 5th Pillar’; explored in a January post. One who embraces the path of righteousness as the Right Path for them to take (and stay on) has successfully graduated from ‘the Truth course’ of Christian Living.
In terms of the Road Map, the first three (3) stops on the Road reflect 3 critical elements of being a Truth-knowing child of God, namely:
The Almighty is a Powerful and Sovereign Waymaker: An awareness of His Power.
For Thou art with you: His Presence in your life is eagerly embraced (Shepherd).
Be a faithful Kingdom seeker: Take the Walk!
What’s the Bridge to Trusting the Lord?
The next phase (and post of this series) is Trust.
The Bible says (Proverbs 3:5-6):
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths”.
The 1st Pillar covers one’s transformation from simply knowing the Truth to wholeheartedly Trusting the Lord – the second phase of Christian Living (three-phases were explored in prior series’ post). Only those who move from Acknowledging the Lord, only those who accept their ways as lower than His (Isaiah 55:8-11), can cross the bridge – be Abiding Christians.
- Knowing the truth simply puts you ‘in the toll line’. Those who do not love and trust the Lord sadly never make it across the bridge.
- Please don’t take the Bridge exit, get in the toll line, and then refuse to pay your toll . . . or completely cross to the other side!
Jesus: The ‘Toll Collector’
Let me make this real clear for you.
- While Christ will personally greet you at the toll booth, the Holy Spirit will guide trusting ‘drivers’ over the bridge, and God himself will be waiting for you on the other side.
- Do you have your toll ready for Jesus? If you know the truth you surely will! Those who are unbound and free can trust.
- Those who are love and trust the Lord will triumph!
To God, to the watchman that watches over us, be the Glory.
Grace, mercy, and peace to you.
- Song Credit: “Why Should I Be Bound”, David G. Evans featuring Earnest Pugh.
- Photo Credit: Art4TheGlryOfGod/Flickr – CC